Welcome to the School History page.
Our school is very lucky to have old log books of events which go back to 1863, and so we know quite a lot about the school, it’s master and it’s pupils. It was founded in 1852 when the National Society for promoting the Education of the poor in the principles of the established church together with the Ripon Diocese purchased a piece of ground on the village green for a school.
In 1863 the school consisted of only one room,divided by a curtain to separate the boys and girls in the afternoon. Attached to the schoolroom is a four room dwelling as residence for the master, with a piece of land for the garden.
The master was James Plews and his sister taught the girls needlework. There were 101 pupils from 3 -14 years old. It was not often that all the pupils actually attended. They had time off for all sorts of reason,sometimes illness,but more often to work on the land.
Schools can prove excellence by gaining industry standard awards. View awards we have attained.
Free News Service
Click on the icon to the left to subscribe to a free RSS feed school news service.
You can also follow us on social media. Click on the icons at the very bottom of this web page.